Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Food for life--gluten-free tortillas


One of my favorite gluten-free products is Food For Life's brown rice tortillas. The discovery of this product opened up a whole new food world for me. I can have quesadillas again!

The sky's the limit as to what you fill it with, but I'm content with just plain cheddar or Colby Jack cheese. I fry mine in a little olive oil just until the cheese melts. The tortillas brown nice and crisp the way I like them. The flavor is excellent. In fact, my children prefer these to regular flour tortillas.

I found them in the freezer section of my local Kroger. You can check their Web site at www.foodforlife.com to locate a store or learn about their other products, which include gluten-free cereals, breads and baked goods.

1 comment:

  1. These are the BEST! I'm gluten-free, too. I've had celiac disease since I was two years old - that's why I became a dietitian. But a couple of years a go, when I was 29, I went to a prayer and healing service at my friend's church and asked God to heal me of it. It was kind of weird, but what did I have to lose? The next day - throwing caution to the wind and taking a step of faith - I ate some gluten. Surprisingly, I didn't get sick. I gradually ate more gluten every day and still didn't get sick. That was 3 years ago. I followed up with my GI doctor, told him I was pretty much off the diet, and lost all respect as a dietitian. :) Not really, he was just surprised and said that he couldn't give me the "ok" to continue to eat it, but as long as I was asymptomatic, he couldn't really make an argument. So, I eaten gluten, but I don't over-do it - I don't eat big plates of regular pasta or pancakes or anything like that. And I still prefer these brown rice tortillas! But, I do eat a little something every day and am fine. Do you have celiac or eat gluten free for other reasons?

    ReplyDelete